Although it’s not exactly cold here in San Diego…
I’m still partaking in winter-ish activities like drinking hot chocolate, wearing sweaters,
complaining about the cold, and lastly, making soup.
I have a few soup recipes on GMHO, but today’s might be my favorite. I’ve tweaked the recipe a few times and now deem it worthy to share. You just can’t go wrong with a dish that includes cheese, pasta, and tomato-y goodness. I present to you…
Warm up with a bowl of my Cheesy Tortellini Tomato Soup, combining the great flavors of pasta, cheese, and tomato.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 Tbs cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 c milk
- 1 15-oz can tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 1/2 cup finely diced carrots
- Melt butter in large saucepan and then mix in flour.
- Gradually add milk in a little at a time while stirring. Then add parmesan, seasonings, tomato sauce, broth, celery, and carrots. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook on low for 15 minutes or until carrots and celery are tender.
- Remove bay leaf, and transfer mixture to a blender*, blending until smooth. Pour back into the saucepan and add the tortellini. Cook 5 more minutes, and serve.
* Can use an immersion blender instead of a regular blender.
Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Check out my recipes page for more delicious food!