Weird foods can be quite delicious if you know what you’re doing. As I’ve discovered new ingredients and tried strange concoctions, I have acquired quite a few healthy favorites. Most are plays on traditional items. Thanks to the
addicting wonderful world of Pinterest, I keep finding even more healthy foods I want to try.
I’ll admit that a good 55% of the healthy concoctions I try to make are a bust, but the rest of the 45% makes the experimenting worth it. Here’s a list of tasty creations that I recommend you try for yourself. I won’t be offended if you think they’re disgusting. To each their own.
Spinach smoothies make me happy. The first time I ever made one, it was quite frightening yet tasty. Now I just wing it with the amount of each ingredient and hope it’s edible. Usually I stuff too much spinach in it because it seems like a good idea they’re usually good though. Here’s my protein spinach smoothie if you’re interested in trying it out! Fyi: the peanut butter completely masks the taste of the spinach.
Another good way to incorporate spinach into your regular smoothies is to just…throw a bunch in the blender. Complicated, I know. If you don’t have a heavy spinach hand like I do, then you won’t even notice there’s spinach in a smoothie. Here’s a few smoothie ideas to try…
Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Smoothie: PB, banana, Greek yogurt, milk, cocoa powder, honey, + a handful of spinach
Fruit Smoothie: Fruit of your choice (I like blueberries and strawberries), banana (makes it creamier), Greek yogurt, milk/juice, honey (for added sweetness), +a handful of spinach
Cottage Cheese Pancakes:
I found this cottage cheese pancakes recipe and have tried it a few times. In my opinion, it works best when you use a food processor to blend all the ingredients. Otherwise, the cottage cheese will be melty (which I was surprised to find out), and the ingredients won’t incorporate and cook as well. Just a heads up though: these pancakes are quite dense and flat. Still, I enjoy them. Just don’t expect fluffy pancakes when you make these. Expect protein and some more protein with that. I put peanut butter on top, and it’s super filling and good.
I’ve heard quinoa referred to as both grain and seed, but I’ve heard seed more, so let’s go with that. It’s full of protein and works well as a rice substitute. I’ve made several people try quinoa, and they weren’t as thrilled about it as I am. All hope is not lost though! I’ve made a several recipes with quinoa as the base and have had rave reviews: Quinoa Protein Bowl and Crunchy Orange Chicken Quinoa Salad.
French Rutabaga Fries:
This, my friends, is a rutabaga. Peel it, cut it into slivers, bake it, and voila! You have rutabaga fries. I made these once using this rutabaga fries recipe, and they actually weren’t bad! It definitely tastes different from normal fries, but if you’re looking for a healthier version, baked rutabaga would be one. Lather those babies in ketchup, and you’re set. After the first 3 or so, they’re less weird and more so good.
I don’t think I ever had chickpeas until I tried this roasted chickpeas recipe. I may or may not have eaten the entire can–I’ll never tell. Crunchy and cinnamony? Ya, I’m down. It’s a way to feel better about all the snacking that takes place during your day. Or maybe that’s just how I feel.
Ingredients: banana. Or, in the above picture, it’s also cocoa powder and peanut butter because they’re delicious.
I originally heard of this idea from several bloggers, and my curiosity got the best of me. Just blend a slightly frozen banana in a food processor, and BAM you have ice cream. Check out my chocolate peanut butter butter soft serve recipe.
In the end, there is an endless amount of ways to make meals healthier. These are just a few of the ways I have found and enjoyed. Now it’s your turn:
What are some of the weird foods you love?